Sweep away your poor HTML clutter.
For years the Unix tool HTML Tidy has been the de facto
standard for cleaning, organizing, troubleshooting, and fixing HTML files
from a wide variety of sources. Balthisar Tidy is the beautiful
Macintosh OS X implementation of this this fine tool. With virtually all
of the features of the command line tool and all of the text encodings
that Mac OS X offers, as well as HTML5 support, Balthisar Tidy will be
helping you post better code in no time.
This native Mac implementation of HTML TIDY is a free utility
for doing all of this. It also works great on the atrociously hard to read
markup generated by specialized HTML editors and conversion tools, and
can help you identify where you need to pay further attention on making
your pages more accessible to people with disabilities.
The Main Screen…
The main screen options you set take effect immediately on the “Source HTML,”
as shown in the “Tidy’d HTML.” The “Tidy Messages” indicate errors in the original code, as well as any corrections
that have been made for you.
What are the system requirements?
The current version is targeted for Mac OS X 10.8 or newer. It may work on older
versions of Mac OS X. Visit the Downloads page
for older versions that should work on older Mac OS X.
Where can I find out more about Tidy?
The engine that drives Balthisar Tidy is the unmodified C version of TidyLib by
Charles Reitzel et al. For everything that’s publicly known about HTML Tidy and
TidyLib, please consider paying a visit to the Tidy project’s homepage at
Starting with the December 2013 releases, Balthisar Tidy is using the “experimental html5”
version released by W3C on github: https://github.com/w3c/tidy-html5.
Is this program freeware?
Yes. Do what you want with it. If you feel absolutely obligated to pay, contact me and I won’t hesitate to allow you.
Also know that Balthisar Tidy is open source. See the next question.
Can I get the source code?
Yes! Check out Balthisar Tidy at github.
Six years? Really?
We promise many more updates in the future, and at a higher frequency.
Balthisar Tidy 1.0.1 (March 2014)
- Introduced backward support to Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- Added a "first run helper" to give an overview to new users
- Added an Apple Help Help Book to provide fairly good documentation
- Added a file encoding helper to help users when Tidy thinks that the input-encoding is set wrong
- Added the Sparkle update engine to offer automatic updates
- Added preferences to support Sparkle
- Tweaked other preferences’s layouts for better usability and to support Cocoa bindings
- Other code tweaks, changes, and simplification
Balthisar Tidy 0.7 (December 2013)
- Visible changes
- Built for Mac OS X 10.9 (now minimum supported OS)
- Added Mac OS X full-screen support
- Added developer signature to make Gatekeeper happy
- Added Retina display App icons
- New file icons including support for Retina displays
- Improved the line numbers for the HTML and Tidy’d View
- Added and changed information in Tidy->About
- Default document window is larger.
- Tweaked the document window layout and appearance
- Tweaked the preferences window
- Adopted the most recent version of W3C TidyLib (more options!)
- Cleaned up remaining batch mode references. Will add in roadmap later.
- Cleaned up file encoding mechanism
- Invisible changes
- Significant source code cleanup for legibility
- Some refactorization
- Some migration to modern Objective-C style
- Patched some memory leaks
- Removed all deprecated calls
- Started ivar to property conversion
- Eliminated all compiler warnings (except for TidyLib proper)
Balthisar Tidy 0.6 (November 2007)
- Added support for universal binary.
- Now requires Mac OS X 10.4 or higher.
Balthisar Tidy 0.5 (February 2003)
- Added support for a live error list in the document window.
Balthisar Tidy 0.1 (December 2002)
- Initial release of _Balthisar Tidy_.
- Requires Mac OS X 10.2 or higher.